La Grange is perhaps best known today as the home of the “Chicken Ranch” that provided the inspiration for the screenplay and movie “The Best Little Whore House in Texas.” The town got its start, however, because it was located at the crossing of the Colorado River and an old buffalo trail known as La Bahia Road.
Aylett Buckner built a trading post near the site in 1819, making La Grange one of the oldest settlements in Texas. John Henry Moore, one of LaGrange’s more prominent citizens for many years, built a log blockhouse in the 1830s near the site of today’s town. The structure served as a refuge from Indians during the years of the Republic.
Fayette County, with La Grange as its county seat, was created by the Republic of Texas in 1837.
Moore and the early settlers of Austin’s colony were followed in the 1840s by German immigrants. Then in the 1850s, they were followed by Czechoslovakians and Moravians. Even today, La Grange and Fayette County bear the strong ethnic influence of these early groups.