Built as Mission San Antonio de Valero, the landmark now known as The Alamo in downtown San Antonio was the first of five Spanish colonial missions that were established in San Antonio in the early 1700s. The goal was to Christianize and educate Native Americans. As was customary, a fort was built to protect mission activities, and the accompanying fort was named San Antonio de Bexar.
In 1718, the Spanish Viceroy of Mexico authorized Father Antonio de Olivares to establish the mission that would play a major role in Texas history as it became known all over the world as The Alamo. The church structure began construction in 1755, and less than a century later, in 1836 it became the “Cradle of Texas Liberty”.
One of the most heroic struggles in history took place in the old mission from February 23 to March 6, 1836. Outnumbered by the better-equipped and better-organized Mexican army led by General Santa Anna, the famous defenders of Texas died to the last man. Now their names adorn street signs all over Texas as well as the nation as a whole.
All that remains of the original fort is the Chapel and the Long Barrack. The Alamo museum contains relics from the fort and offers tourists narrations of Alamo history.
The Alamo Cenotaph is a monument erected to memorialize the 189 heroes of the Alamo, and it stands in Alamo Plaza, with the names encircling it, carved into the marble; William Travis, Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, and Sam Houston, to name a famous few.
See the live Alamo Cam and other historic and current information here http://www.the-alamo-san-antonio.com/